9.11.2008

9/11

Forgive me for my jumble, I have a lot of thoughts running through my head and they are not in sequential order, but I want to post them anyway.

I feel frustrated today that it has only been 7 years since the 9/11 attacks and we as a nation are already apathetic towards the whole experience. As I look around there are few flags flying, no yellow ribbons, barely a sign of any kind that anyone remembers or cares about the people who died, and how it felt to be attacked. I am so glad I thought to write in my journal that day and the days that followed. I can remember the tears I shed for people I didn't know, the pride I felt in the nation as it rallied together in candlelight ceremonies, prayer circles, with flags flying on every car and home and yellow ribbons draped along trees, car antennas, girls' hair. We were proud to be Americans and had a singular purpose of heart.

What has happened? September 11 has become just another day. Something that happened in someone else's life. How can we forget so soon? How can we become so uncaring and apathetic towards tragedy?

I don't think the networks are wrong for pulling those images that we watched over and over - they are traumatic and it would be rude to make the victims' families relive it again. However, I feel like the rest of the nation should watch it every now and again and REMEMBER. Remember the shock of seeing two commercial planes crash into buildings full of more innocent people. The horror of seeing them fall. The heroics of the public servants and every day people. The tears and despair of missing loved ones, the hopes and belief in a better America.

So today, I hope you take a moment to remember. Remembrance is the greatest tribute one can pay to those who fell that tragic day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting, Mary. You are right, it seems it has been forgotten by many. Crystal came home from school today REALLY bothered. She said that only on a few days they say the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom during morning announcements. She was sure that today would be the one day they would BE SURE to do it. Nope! It bothered her all day. Although she doesnt remember the details of the day, because she was only 6, she remembers and honors mom and dads feelings at that time and our respect on the anniversaries since then. Even Megan asks questions to this day.
I also agree about the images. I told Crystal that some people might just not want to remember (ie, families of the victims) because its too painful...but as the common citizen, I feel its our duty to honor and remember. Not in a morbid sort of way. Its just that we didnt have to suffer the same way the victims actually did...the LEAST we can do is honor. Everyone is so angry about the war, etc...that they tur their backs on the rest of it all. It makes me sad and angry. I have way too many opinions about this, so I'd better wrap it up.

Nakiesha said...

Mary, thank you so much for posting your thoughts! I agree with you one hundred percent. What has happened to our nation? It seems like all we care are about are the men and women still being killed in action, rather than the lives that have already been lost not only in NYC, but all around the world due to these terrorists. We have completely forgoten the cause and tragic action that brought us in this war.
Thank you so much once again, and thank your husband for serving, and risking his life to keep my family or others safe. I can't imagine how much you all have to sacrifice for our protection!

Nikki said...

Hey Mary -right on!! p.s. You were in such a hurry at Broulim's that I couldn't tell you that you look great!

Joe C. said...

I remember back in '01 you gave me a yellow ribbon to put on my car. You've always been a very thoughtful person; and you're attitude is contagious.

Keep helping people remember to SHOW their compassion and patriotism. Some of us think things but never make them known... But we can always count on you to not hold back. Thanks!

Unknown said...

thanks guys!