6.20.2009

AM I CRAZY?!?!?

For a while I have been feeling frustrated with the amount of television my family and I watch.  It is so addicting!  At night we don't even really watch anything, we just keep surfing the channels watching various uninteresting things and are just lazy.  I hate it.  So Zane and I have been talking about it for a while and I decided maybe we should just unplug the cable so all we could do was watch movies.  Then it dawned on me that wasn't going to solve the amount of watching at all either because I would just throw in movies for the kids.

So today, Zane and I packed up our beautiful television in its box, took down the wall mount, and packed it away in storage.  Are we crazy?  I'm sure there will be times I think I am.  But I just feel like there is more to life and we are stuck on the couch TOO much!  So now I am going to go and buy some pretty thing to put on my wall to cover the nakedness.  :)  Wish me luck in this endeavor!

By the way, I have to be honest - we aren't going completely tv-less.  Eventually we will be bringing back our itty bitty tv to put in our room strictly for movies on sick days and those horrible Rexburg winters when I need a break from entertaining children.  :)  But I think it will be on less if it's not a focal point in the house...I hope!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Not crazy! We have been without it for more than a year now and we are happy. For us, we watch the shows we actually care about online. It's nice because we are never sucked into channel surfing and we only have to sit through one commercial every 15 minutes or so.

Good luck finding something pretty for your wall!

Unknown said...

We don't have cable now. It's nice. Now I spend all my time surfing the internet. hehe. I am trying self control in that area because I can't get rid of my computer!

Diana said...

I know so many people who are doing this right now (me included)! You WILL NOT regret it! Don't you think it's a sign of the times that we feel an urgency to use our time more wisely than ever before? Good for you!

The Crebs Family said...

Oh we did that last semester. I got so sick of watching TV all winter. The first week was the hardest, and then I loved it. Good luck! :)

Unknown said...

Let me know how it goes. I know how you feel. We didn't sign up for cable at our new place. I am fine with it because it is summer and SO nice outside (and light out until late).

Linzi said...

You're crazy. :)

Sokimna said...

Mary, we've been struggling with tv too. Since school's been out, if Erin is not outside, she's inside watching tv. One thing we did was signed up for the reading program at the library. Sometimes, I find myself trying to get all of my things done while Eli is pulling and tugging on me. I can't believe that after dropping what I did and giving him 15 minutes of attenting works!!! After that I went back to what I was doing and Eli was content playing by himself. Let me know if you need some "me time" bc we all need that once in a while - I know I do! =)

Lu said...

Wow this is a big sacrifice!! Love to hear how it goes. I don't think I could do it.
Amazing that your oldest is 5!! Congrats on a big milestone. She looks beautiful!
BTW where have you been all my life!??! Seriously haven't talked to you in FOREVER!

Desiree said...

Not crazy, just brave!! But you inspired me to downgrade my cable today. Not really that much savings, but half the channels. Bye bye trashy HBO and Showtime shows :(. lol. Baby steps. Maybe one day I will unplug the TV.