8.21.2010

Update

I watched "The Last Song" tonight - it was nice to clean out my system and have a good cry.  Thank you Nicholas Sparks - I can always count on you for a good tear jerker!  But I needed it today.  Our life the last several days has been overwhelming and I have had a good lesson in humility.

After the three previous babies I have had an over abundance of milk and they all nursed fine.  This new baby is having difficulties.  Nursing has been a huge problem for him - really just eating in general.  He'll take a bottle (sort of) and so I'm pumping on a schedule trying to keep up with feeding him and to keep my milk from drying up.  It's so stressful.  He dropped 10 oz the first 2 days and has only regained 2 oz since then.  So far we've had 3 doctor's visits (a 4th is scheduled for Tues), 2 lactation consultations, a round of x-rays and a slew of blood work.  He doesn't suck, he chews.  He can suck, he just chooses not to and we've tried all the exercises and still nothing.  I broke down today after finding out we would now have to go to a speech therapist this week.  I'm exhausted, hormonal, worried, stressed, and at a loss for what to do.  I'm sooo grateful to have my mom here for so long.  I start to freak out anytime I think of what I'm going to do if this doesn't get solved by the time she leaves.  Thank heavens she is here until Labor Day!

Why is she here for so long?  Zane is gone.  He left this last Thursday and won't be back until Sept 5.  That is probably another reason I needed a good release cry.  Before he left, work had been super busy and crazy so he wasn't able to be around a lot really since just before the baby was born.  We miss him.

Despite everything, Jacob is honestly a sweet baby and oh-so-cute.  I promise to post some more pictures soon.  The other kids are doing well too, though they are all sick right now.  :)  Go figure and YAY for Grandma!!  :)

2 comments:

Ann said...

It's so hard when it's a struggle to feed them. Both of mine had problems w/ nursing. I had to abandon it when Cole was 9 weeks and just pump and bottle feed the whole time. Andrew had major allergy and reflux issues. It was a struggle the entire year. Not much fun. Hang in there. Let me know if I can help at all.

Smith Fam said...

You are such a saint! I sure hope they can figure out what is going on with the poor thing. I'm so glad your mom is there and it sounds like she is a helpful mom to have around, that is always nice as well. I feel for you.