2.08.2009

Ouch!

Yesterday was quite interesting.

Zane was leaving for drill early in the morning while I was still in bed. Suddenly I heard this crash and I FLEW out of bed because I was sure he had fallen and cracked his head or broken something. There was this nasty patch of ice at the bottom of our stairs and gratefully he had just twisted/sprained his ankle. He was VERY lucky to have been wearing his army boots that go up so high - otherwise he would have surely broken or completely torn something. So off he went to drill hobbling.

Fast forward to later that day. I am carrying Brother Bear and coming down with Cowboy to meet Princess outside to play. Step down at the bottom of the stairs and SLAM I hit the stupid patch of ice. I was carrying BB on my left side so I threw myself sideways and caught myself on the railing with my ribcage and shoulder blade full force. Ugh. It took me a few minutes to recover and stop myself from passing out because of lack of ability to breathe and I was in sooo much pain. But we had just gotten outside and I didn't want to tell Cowboy that he had to go in right then so I hobbled down to the playground with tears streaming down my face. I lasted for about 15 minutes before waves of nausea were overtaking me and then we all headed inside. By the time I got the kids snow clothes off and sat down I was sobbing uncontrollably and called Zane to have him come home. Lucky for me he thought to call his brother who came over and helped me until Zane came home.

So...Zane and I both went to urgent care last night. I am feeling very grateful that both of us just have minor injuries - no matter how painful. He is going to Reno this Wednesday and if i had a cracked or broken rib, that would have been torture! So...we are bruised and hurting, but not anything more serious which is very lucky. I should mention that Princess slipped on the same patch but slid to the side while wearing her snow suit, so she was padded enough to not get hurt, just a scrape. So now we get to file a complaint and get the apartments to pay the medical bill because our insurance won't cover 3rd party liability. Wish us luck with that one. I could post a whole other rant post about the stupidity of university housing and their utter disregard and ignorance of how to manage family housing. :) They would be buried 6 ft under in litigation any other state/city for all their issues. I should mention that I am referring to the person in charge in the housing office of the school, not the actual managers! :) (love ya Michelle!)

7 comments:

Emily said...

Ouch! I can't believe three of you have had trouble with it and it's still there! Good luck with the bill. I hope you both feel better.

Greg and Michelle said...

I am so glad to hear that you are alright! I feel horrible for everything! Please let me know how I can help you guys!

Lu said...

Wow!! This is a traumatizing story!! I gotta tell ya I am feelin super grateful for sunny San Diego right now. I can't imagine getting out the door trying to get everyone dressed and bundled. Hope you are both ok and get some dang salt on that ice huh?!?

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you guys are ok. Especially that you were able to do the "mommy thing" and protect BB from getting hurt. You're awesome. Wish I was there to help. Good luck with the fight. Are they usually cheap with their ice melt ("I Smelt" for Jill) or was this just a patch they missed? With it being Idaho, Im surprised they havent run into this issue before.

Unknown said...

the university does the snow removal and they are really good about salting and everything, but not on weekends as much and our building is one of the worst because we are right on the runoff and face north so the front never gets direct sunlight. Zane went out when we got home and used the ice breaker and got rid of it - I think I'm just going to suggest that all apts have ice melt made available at all stairs and such just in case they miss a spot again. I'd hate for a child or preggo lady to slip and fall like we did. The kids could have easily slipped and cracked their head on the cement stairs.

Smith Fam said...

That is horrible. Hope you start feeling better fast

Nikki Nichols said...

Mary How are you feeling can I come over and take the kids off your hands for a bit? I will call you tomorrow! Hope both you guys are going to be okay, that is horrible!!

www.thefamilynichols.com