2.07.2011

It's a choice

I've been thinking a lot about life and how easy it is to get discouraged and caught up in the drudgery.  For example, it would be easy to be sad and feel lonely and irritated that I am by myself with 4 kids, never really getting a break, in constant demand by someone or something.  I would be easy to be annoyed going to the store having to lug all the kids in.  It would be easy to think that motherhood is a very thankless and unrewarding job.  It would be easy to wish these early years away until all the kids are in school and out of my hair, or until they are out of the house.

It would be easy... 

Who said life is supposed to be easy?  Life is about choices.  And this is what I chose.  I chose to become a wife and mother.  I chose to support my husband's decision to join the Army.  I chose to do whatever I could to be a stay-at-home mom.  And I choose to rejoice.

I rejoice in my children.  I rejoice in my role in their lives.  Motherhood is in no way a thankless job.  I get thanked every time I see my children laughing.  I am thanked when they are hurt and my arms and kisses are the only thing they want for comfort.  I am thanked when a grubby little hand hangs onto my finger and pulls me over to show me something they made waiting for my praise.  I am rewarded with tender kisses and "I love you Mommy." I am rewarded when a little person climbs into my bed and says, "Mommy, I'm scared can you hold me?" and I am the one they want to chase away those bad things.  Being a mother is not just something, it is everything.

My husband's family has a theme of "Get over it."  It took me a long time to figure that out and I think I've turned it into my own - "Deal with it."  Life can be hard, so work through it, deal with it, and move on to the next challenge.  And in the meantime, make a choice to live, rejoicing daily.

2 comments:

Jen, Dave, Reagan and Matthew said...

what a great attitude mary. You are awesome!

Greg and Michelle said...

I love this! You are such a strong woman; someone I definitely look up to!