4.15.2010

Southern cravings

Next week we are helping out the youth in the ward by hosting a couple of them as missionaries in our home. The idea is we are to pick them up, give them dinner, and listen to the first lesson in "Preach My Gospel" as a family. They really wanted families to cook food from another country/region that the guys and gals might have if called to that mission. Being from the South most of my growing up years, I chose to pick Georgia as the area we would be. So I've been thinking about all of the yummy traditional Southern foods I could make for dinner and all I could come up with is Fried Chicken, collard greens, and Hoppin John. But when I made the inquiry on Facebook - YUM. I got a lot of ideas, and now it just makes me want to sit down and do a whole menu full of southern foods. And now I have a craving for KFC biscuits - it's the closest thing to the southern style we have in Twin Falls, ID. :D *Sigh* Is it wrong to feel homesick for an area you haven't lived in for a decade?

I asked for recipes and suggestions on Facebook, but if anyone hasn't read it there, I'm open to any new recipes on here too!

3 comments:

Janelle Heath said...

What about hush puppies. Not sure if they are a Georgian thing but in Mississippi they are a standard (that's where Ben's mom's from). Or what about chitlins (sp?) Give them an experience they'll never forget!

kjco said...

I get homesick for West Yellowstone all the time & that was only 2 summers...26 yrs. ago..

Jessica M said...

Fun to catch up on your family! Expecting child #4? Where does time go? Glad y'all are enjoying your new home. And while you're fixin' southern food, throw some fried green tomatoes into the mix!