4.28.2010

Yummy "healthy" cookie recipe

The kids and I loved these! They weren't Zane's favorite, but he liked them too - they do make a spongy type cookie (he likes the flat kind). I got the recipe out of Deceptively Delicious - I checked it out of the local library. I think that is my new favorite way of looking at recipes. I can try them out without wasting money on a book and save space in my cupboard! :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

¾ cup margarine spread (I used a half butter/half margarine mixture)

2 large egg whites

2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 (15oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (I puree the chickpeas in a blender and added some water to make them a more creamy texture and easier to blend)

2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional - I didn't use them)

¾ cup raisins (optional - I didn't use them)

2 cups all-purpose flour

½ cup old-fashioned oats

1 tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, or use parchment paper.

2. In large mixing bowl beat the sugar and margarine/butter with wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, mix on low speed until thick dough forms. *note* good idea to add chocolate chips last and I just mixed it with a spoon.

3. Drop dough 2 inches apart, bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set (11-13 minutes). Transfer to rack to cool.

4. Can store in airtight container up to 3 days.

No comments: