7.22.2011

Heaven help us

Cowboy is going to be the death of me.  In more ways than one.

At the moment, he refuses to play with those different from himself.

Which means, in HIS words: "I don't play with brown people.  I don't like them.  I only like white ones like me."

WHAT?!?!?!?

Seriously mortifying.  Trying not to overreact to avert his doing this to get attention, but really?  REALLY?!?

Right as I was about to feel like an absolute and complete failure, Princess said to Cowboy: "That isn't okay!  I'm best friends with ..., ...., ...., and ...., and they are a different color and it doesn't matter at all!"

We've had several discussions over the last while reiterating who we can be friends with (everyone) and how everyone is a child of God.

And then I realized through no fault of anyone, there has really not been anyone his age that he is friends with or associates with who is at all different.  He's barely ever had anyone his own age around.  Typically they have been Princess's age or Brother Bear's.  And his preschool?  Every single child was white.  I had no idea until I looked at his school picture.

I worry.  He has a big mouth and likes to say what he thinks which makes me want to crawl into a hole because where do you think other people will think he got it from?!?  Even worse, what if he says it to a little person trying to be his friend in school?  How awful.  I'm seriously trying to nip this in the bud, but it's been so shocking I barely even know how to react.

I still feel like I failed.  But I'm a mom and it comes with the territory...

I really really hope I can change this BEFORE he hurts another mother's baby.  :(

1 comment:

Dallas and Carissa said...

I'm sorry for laughing, because I can see how mortifying it would be as a mom, but it's also pretty humorous :) Obviously you guys aren't racist, and he is just little and still learning, and I think people understand that. You could try learning the Primary song, "I'll Walk with You." I bet he'll go to kindergarten and decide that so-and-so in his class is really awesome and you can embarrass him by telling this story to all of his friends in high school :)