7.27.2010

A not-so-very smart idea

Oh my goodness, I am not the smartest person on the block.  The sad thing is I really was trying to be smart.

Let me back up a bit.  I've been feeling pretty good the last few days and felt for the first time that I really could make it the last 3 weeks without wanting to do whatever possible to get this baby out of me faster.  I was very grateful for the reprieve.  Okay, that being said - yesterday I had this crazy intense radiating and constant pain along my tailbone.  Almost like it was broken, but from the inside.  Odd.  So as the pain got worse throughout the day I thought it had to be one of two things: either beginning back labor, or maybe I needed to empty my bowels.  To eliminate the first idea I decided to do an enema, except I couldn't find one in the house and I didn't feel like going to the store.  So what brilliant idea did I come up with?  Castor oil.  It's been the best known laxative for years!  Thinking that I would at least do it the smart way, I looked up the dosage of castor oil that people use to induce labor (typically they use at least 2 TBS) and decided it would be fine to take 1/2 TBS to move things through.  All the articles I read stated that if your body wasn't ready, it wouldn't induce any labor and nothing would happen, except some loose bowel movements.  So totally safe for me because obviously my body isn't ready as of my last appt, right?

Who knew a 1/2 TBS could do so much?  It worked on moving things through alright, but it also worked on irritating my uterus.   As my contractions grew worse and were coming every 2-4 minutes and lasting for a minute or more I became determined that this baby would NOT come out, and began doing everything in the book to try and stop them.  Thankfully they finally died down through the night.  I should mention WHY I don't want this baby to come right now - my mom is flying to NM to visit my sister and her family there for a week.  She rarely gets to go down there, and I would feel awful if I had the baby during my sister's time with her.  Today the contractions are still there, but I'm super determined they won't go anywhere, and now I know NOT to take any more castor oil.  Like I said, it was a not-so-very smart idea.  :)  haha.

2 comments:

Hollie Hanson said...

ha ha! You crack me up! I am impressed you had the restraint to try and stop them. I would have drank more castor oil! I can't believe you are almost due. The time has flown by. Ok, maybe for me and not for you :) Hang in there. I can't wait to see your new lil man! And if your mom is in NM and you need me to come down I totally will!!! Serious!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Mary,

Dont be silly. Although I LOVE our mother and want to see her, babies do get priority.
Even if she has to go while I am gone we do have other family in town to take over. Please dont stress. Love you.