7.02.2010

Going against the grain

I'll admit that I can be an odd duck at times.  I have a confession: I am extremely tempted to never watch  Eclipse and any remaining Twilight movies.  I know, GASP!  WHY in the world would I ever do such a thing???  Simply because I am over the hype and hysteria.  This annoyance of mine hit a peak when I was walking into the toy section at Wal-Mart and saw all the Bella, Edward, and Jacob BARBIES.  Really?  Barbies?  I hated the first movie.  Liked the second, but mainly because I think the actor who plays Jacob is the only one in the cast who can express emotion without going monotone when he's trying to be serious or sad.  Edward in the books is supposed to be like an Apollo.  To me, Edward in the movies is a skinny pasty white boy with an ugly hair dye and contacts who I will say is a terrific actor - in other movies.  I know for a fact that the vast majority vehemently disagree with me, and that's okay.  I'm also annoyed that so many are naming their kids Edward, Jacob, Bella, and Cullen.  Really it's because I liked the name Jacob way before any of the books got popular, but now it's the #1 name for boys and I just can't quite bring myself to name my next baby Jacob - like planned.

Yes, I am an odd duck, I'll admit.  And I probably will end up seeing Eclipse in the end - one can only go against the current so long, right?  :o) haha.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I have a little different take on this. Hype doesn't bug me. Not even a little bit. Dave always says he doesn't want to buy into the hype on anything, but for me... I don't let hype decide what I like, but I also don't let hype decide what I don't like. If my favorite song is #1 on the radio, SUPER! But I also like a lot of music that most people have never heard of. I like what I like, hype or no hype.

But that's just me. :) I'm not trying to be a brat, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the topic.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I have seen Eclipse twice already. :) But it's not because I'm crazy about Twilight. I'm fairly indifferent about Twilight, but I love girls night! :)

Interestingly, my verification word is "brati." Maybe that's appropriate as I post my differing opinion on your lovely blog.

Anonymous said...

I encouraged Megan to delete her FB post that told people to "Get a life" that like the saga. I told her that was mean. That she could have an opinion, but not tell people to get a life. I told her that was a good way to isolate herself from her entire middle school. LOL.