6.09.2010

The fun and no-so-fun

I decided Saturday morning since the older two kids had been on antibiotics long enough and BB didn't show any sign of strep we could go down and see Zane's family for his sister's baby's blessing.  The kids did great with the trip in spite of the super quick turn around and it was fun to see everyone.  Unfortunately poor Zane was the only one of the whole family NOT there.  Oh well, I'm sure there will be more get togethers and lately it seems there is always one more baby to add to the bunch so the family pictures are never quite complete.  
All the cousins - the boys are taking over!
BB & his cousin G are 3 wks apart - Cowboy sure loves them!
BB thinks he should close his eyes when someone says "Look at me!"
Princess helping him open his eyes for the picture - so funny!

We were also able to visit with my sister and her family for a little bit.  I wish it could have been longer as planned before sickness, but it was nice for the amount of time we were there.  It turns out it was a blessing in disguise we weren't there for very long anyway.  We thought one of the nephews had food poisoning, but it turns out it was a stomach bug that I caught as well.   So Monday morning I woke up SICK - out both ends.  It was AWFUL.  I was incompetent of taking care of the kids at all so I called Zane and he came home from work to take care of us for the day.  By the end of the day I wasn't keeping any fluid down at all but I still didn't want to go into the hospital for iv fluids thinking I could make it to the next morning and just go in for an office visit.  However after my contractions kept coming every 3 minutes I figured I needed to get hydrated before the contractions actually progressed to something more so I had Zane drop me off (yay for living 5 minutes from the hospital).  However, I was really dumb and decided to go ahead and let them give me the cheaper Phenegren for the nausea in the iv instead of Zofran.  Such a bad idea!  I react to that so bad - it can cause restlessness, anxiety, etc.  So I had to sit through another bag of iv fluid unable to sleep or stay still or relax and starting to freak out that I was strapped to the monitors and iv.  Serves me right for thinking of saving money on the bill.  :)  The poor nurses had a hard time getting my iv started anyway - they had to poke me 5 times to try and get a vein that wouldn't burst or collapse.  My arms look fabulous!  :)  But I'm glad I went in then instead of the morning - I'd hate to think how hard it would have been to get one started after another 12 hrs without any fluid!  Yuck.

I did feel better about my ability to recognize the contractions after actually seeing that not only was i having them, but they were big enough to actually register high numbers on the monitor.  It made me feel like it wasn't just in my head.  :)  Because of all the contractions they went ahead and checked my cervix to make sure they hadn't made me progress before I left the hospital.  I was very happy that I wasn't dilated, but not so happy to find out that my cervix is super soft/thin which from what I understand from them means there isn't any more barrier to the contractions actually making me efface and dilate.  No one wants to hear a doctor say "well, at least try and keep that baby in there another month."  ?????  What are you supposed to think with that?  I've been pretty good at ignoring all these contractions up to this point - with the exception of those that made me have to stop walking or take my breath away.  But seriously, now how can I not become paranoid about these obnoxious contractions that I inevitably have 24 hrs a day?  *sigh*  Ignorance is bliss I tell ya!

So Zane picked me up from the hospital about 2 am and I was still super weak yesterday so he worked from home again.  I just have to say, I really have an amazing husband.  He took care of us all without a complaint that he was having to use some of the few vacation days he gets, I didn't even have to ask him to stay another day yesterday - he told me he was going to stay because I needed to get better.  He's wonderful.  There are times in a marriage when you question how much you love your spouse, or even if you still love them.  I can honestly it's true - love grows and changes over time.  I can't imagine life without him - he's truly my match and I love him so much more today than I did when we were married. I think our differences challenge each other - but in a good and growing way.  Love that man!  :)

1 comment:

Kat & Paul said...

i now have three days off of the Zofran! yahoo! I swear it is the best stuff! Reading your post i realized that i wasn't just going crazy with the phenegran sp?. I got so anxious on that stuff, I had the patch, it made me drowsy and i felt horrible. i read your later post saying that things are okay....I'm glad for that! here's to no more throwing up and illness for you! You've had quite enough!