5.04.2011

Fight or flight?

I grimace as I write this post and wonder what you will think of me broadcasting one of my many weaknesses.

If someone were to ask me if I were a fight or flight type of person, I would invariably have to reply FLIGHT.  This may surprise some who think because I may speak my mind about some things I would be more of a fighter.  I'm not.  There are things that I stand my ground on for sure, but in most cases when there is an unpleasantness I would rather take the Scarlett O'Hara approach and think on it tomorrow, or frankly, not at all.

When things are stressful or uncertain and I don't really care to deal with them, I read books.  Lots of books.  I think I use them as an escape from a reality I don't particularly care to deal with at the moment.  It is purely selfish and completely time wasting, not to mention not very good in the fulfilling of any mothering/housekeeping tasks I may have.

I am not saying that it isn't okay to take some time out for yourself every once in a while.  By all means!  I am merely confessing that there are times that I immerse myself in the literary world too much just to put off thinking about the real world.

Zane keeps telling me to write a book and at least get paid for my whimsy.

Alas, I confess my dreams are not filled with page provoking sparkly vampires.  And my grammar isn't so great either.  :)

So there you have it.  My name is Mary and I am a terrible book addict at the most inopportune times...mainly when there are decisions to be made, or upcoming changes I fear I can do nothing about, or when life just simply overwhelms.  I confess the latter has been inflicting me the most as of late.

How about you?  Are you a fighter or a flighter?

3 comments:

Kento and Vanessa said...

That's a good question, that for me depends wholly on the task at hand, however I too am one who get sucked in and lost in the fantasy world. Sometimes there is nothing better than curling up with a good book and forgetting about everything else for a little while.

Holly Murray said...

I'm a fighter but a proscrastinator. Why do today that which can be put off til tomorrow? I don't think there's anything wrong with "escaping" every now and then. Especially if it gives your brain a much needed respite.

Scott and Kelli said...

You're not alone, I find myself trying to escape reality all too often!