9.24.2013

Back on the bandwagon

Zane and I were stupid with our money - I've posted about it previously, but I'll lay bare my soul on this post.  We have paid off debt 2 times in our marriage and you would think that would be it, right?  Oh no!  So much of life is spent saying, "hindsight is 20/20."  Well folks, if there is one thing I am determined to teach my children, it's money.  We were just clueless, no other way to put it.  We totally could have gone through school without student loans, but didn't, because isn't that what you do?  Take out loans?  What do you mean you can pay cash for a car?  What?!? We don't HAVE to have this RIGHT NOW?  :)

Are you ready to croak at the numbers?  Okay.  Here's where I pull back my skin to rub in some salt.  We started out with just about $88K in debt about 2 yrs ago - this is including ALL debt (some people don't count student loans which just doesn't make sense to me - debt is debt).  Last year we were down to $77K.  This year we fell off the bandwagon for a bit, so it wasn't as big of a drop as we could have had, but now we are down to $55K.  It's taken me a while to completely get on the "let's-get-the-hell-out-of-debt-by-any-means-necessary" train, but I finally picked up the computer without prodding from my husband and did our complete updated debt payoff calendar worksheet.  As of right now, we have a payoff date of July 2015.  Our goal is to move that up a couple of months as much as possible,  depending on any extra we get - ie: winning the lottery, tax returns, moving expenses the military pays, etc.  Ok, I'm just teasing about the lottery - we don't play it.  But it'd be pretty awesome!  :)

Blech, right?!?  But here it is.  We are buckling down and doing what we have to.  The kids are having to sacrifice doing as many activities.  But the thing is, I'd rather do it now and be out of debt by the time things really matter!  Here are some links that are helpful to me!

Many have heard of him, but he has some awesome resources that are helpful!  Dave Ramsey
He also has a super helpful monthly budget tool that you can get through the Financial Peace University.  Cash is king!

And, this is my personal favorite helpful tool because I HATE doing my own spreadsheet:

So, this is my accountability post.  If I feel the need to get off the bandwagon, I have to post that I fell and that would stink!  Especially because now you know the nitty gritty details.  :)

No comments: