9.15.2013

Early morning ponderings

This morning I woke up, rolled over, and gazed at the man laying next to me.  As he lay there sleeping, I couldn't help but think of our life together.  Marriage is an interesting thing.  There's a comfort of the known and a strength in facing the unknown.  There's the monotony of the same, and safety of stability.  There's the surprise of discovery of another aspect of the other person or ourself who we thought we knew so well.  It's the unspoken conversation you have in a glance.  The shared joy and heartache of life's seemingly unending obstacles.  The vulnerability of baring your heart, body, and soul and giving all to someone who could ultimately crush you with that power, but trusting they won't.  The frustration and annoyance of dealing with one another's faults and idiosyncrasies.
I will be completely honest.  There are times when I have been all too tempted to call it quits.  To say it's not worth it.  I'm better without him.  He doesn't deserve me.  Or he deserves better.  The temptation of the idea there has to be something/someone better.

But looking at the man who is laying next to me, I see my choice.  I chose this man.  I chose this life.  And I choose to love it more with each passing day.  With that thought in mind, I snuggled into his side and smiled as he automatically adjusted in his sleep to encircle me in his arms - just as he's done so many times before, and I feel blessed.

1 comment:

Jen, Dave, Reagan and Matthew said...

That's so nice Mary. I have been in the same boat because times for us have been so trying. But I agree that I made my choice because I loved him so much and even more having been through so much and had his children. Beautiful words. I'm glad I read them today. So thank you Mary.