3.21.2011

You have to go through hell to get to heaven

Or so you would think judging from our drive yesterday.

OH MY GOODNESS!

Found out there was a Stride Rite outlet in Las Vegas, so I decided to stop and get some shoes for my fat footed Brother Bear.  Then we had to eat and nurse.  Then we dropped Grandpa off at the hotel.  Then we got on the road - destination: CALIFORNIA!! 

Then we come to a complete stop.  And it takes 3 hours to get from Las Vegas to Barstow.

Then the wind is blowing 40-50 mph with gusts up to 80 mph.  Rain begins when we hit Barstow.  We stop to eat and nurse Baby Boy.  On the road again.  In-laws offer to meet me in Victorville.  No, I'm fine.

SLOWLY get to Victorville.  Baby Boy is screaming, I have been reduced to tears as the sun has set, the rain has increased, the wind hasn't stopped and I spot an oasis: Chuck E Cheese.

Call the in-laws and say, I'm stopping here, please come and get me!

Hour and and half later they are there and I was saved!  Grandma jumps in the car, I follow Grandpa and grip the wheel with all my might all the way to their house in the hurricane.  I was advised to change my tires soon before leaving...now that I'm thinking of my intense hydroplaning, some more tread wouldn't have hurt on this drive...

But we arrived safe and sound 9 hours after leaving Las Vegas.  Did you know it's only a 4 hour drive?  :)  Lesson that I learned: DON'T BREAK THE SABBATH AND GO TO STRIDE RITE ON SUNDAY, EVEN ON VACATION.  lol.  Another lesson I learned: I was dumber than a box of rocks to think I could do a road trip with four young children by myself.  I can't believe how stupid I was!!

So basically yesterday was hell.  Pure hell.  I may mention that the kids were AWESOME!  I just couldn't take my hands off the wheel and help Baby or anyone else if they needed something and it was a bit frustrating.

Today?  Pretty close to heaven, especially if you ask my kids.

Grandpa outfitted everyone with galoshes and we went to ride his horse and tromp around in the mud.  The kids even loved cleaning out the stall!  :)  Mud and horses mixed with Grandpa = pure heaven.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Oh my gosh that drive sounds terrible!! That's the bad thing about the drive from Vegas. There is only one way!! So it could go really well, or go horribly! Glad you finally made it, now you will never want to leave! lol. I know the feeling of traveling by yourself and finally making to the grandparents. Touchdown. PHEW!!! Tears of joy.